Sunday 2 November 2014

HALLOWEEN

  


 

It was my first Halloween in Canada and I was geared up for anything, even the cold! I had been told that people would come round even if it snowed. Only rain dampens the spirits, but even then there are vehicles for that type of weather. Halloween goes on no matter what!
We had been decorating the outside of the house for at least a week adding new decorations as we got them. We went tootling round the neighbourhood looking at what everyone else had to offer. By four o'clock we were ready for the first group of little ones. The candy was in the cauldron and everything was switched on. I wore half of my costume as Lyndsay said it was too scary for the young ones.
The cats were outside and could not understand what was going on. We just hoped sharp claws did not come into contact with the blown up characters we had out in the front. Socks looked just like the light decoration I had in my bedroom window. Unfortunately he was not very impressed with the proceedings.


 
As the evening wore on more interesting characters came our way. It was really wonderful to see how many parents had also dressed up for the occasion. I put on my hood and eyes and stood waiting, then I heard a little voice ask, "Is that a real person?" I had to turn up my hood a couple of times as the little ones were scared. On the post outside we had a bell that I made the children press and laughed as they jumped backwards away from the snake that touched their finger. Next to me was a motion acting spider that crawled up and down while its eyes shone red. One little boy came in the same costume as mine, he was not scared of anything.

 I think the best decoration we had was the skeleton trying to get out of the grave. Our neighbours down the road had gone all out and even had a  bloody corpse in a coffin. I had a lot of fun but later in the evening it started to get cold so we abandoned our posts, switched off the lights and retreated indoors for a hot drink to chase away the chills. Our plan now is to think up something really original for next year. Any ideas?

2 comments:

  1. Loving the blog!!! I am so glad you have this to make your new life even more interesting. Should have thought of this from the beginning, but no harm done. You are doing splendidly!!!!
    Please, keep entertaining us. Your adventures all have a hilarious side!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, never thought I could have so much fun writing. Plan to go on indefinitely.

      Delete