Sunday 9 November 2014

Driving in Canada


   Driving in Canada is an experience and a half. Having roads with no pot holes is new, also having roads that go on for ever. After driving on an island thirty seven miles long and at the widest fifteen miles, you can imagine how different it all is here. It is amazing to me the way the roads seem to keep on going for long distances, and driving through the countryside is beautiful.
                                                                      

   Before I came to Canada my friend Lyndsay told me, "If you drive on the highway you have to go at one hundred or one hundred and twenty kilometres an hour." My response was, "You must be kidding!" I was used to going at a maximum of eighty and felt that if I drove over that I would lose control of the car. Of course I was still reckoning with potholes and the traffic I was used to, bumper to bumper. Everyone doing their own thing no matter what the law really meant! Since being here and driving in the country I can see how driving could certainly be considered a pleasure.


 
My friend Gale has been taking me driving for practice. I am having a few problems on these smooth, empty roads staying within the speed limit. It seems rather difficult for me to judge the speed I am going so we have rather a lot of what my father used to call "kangaroo petrol." Poor Gale, she is one of the most patient people I have ever known and has now got used to my style of driving, at least I think she has, as she still comes in the car with me!

2 comments:

  1. Well, I see you have been busy. Good for you!!! Driving is enjoyable only if we know what we are doing. Curaçao, unfortunately, does not prepared us for "real driving". Now, how is the snow storm treating you? anything coming up on that theme?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will never be a great driver and I agree about Curacao. Just wait for part two on the way!

      Delete