Thursday 11 December 2014

Winter is on the way


I got  so excited at the first snow but had no idea it could be so beautiful. Winter is on it's way, as the snow is now staying put. The real winter woollies have come out and all the fleece lined "everythings." I was out walking in the snow the other day and it was crunching quietly under my boots, I think it was only a couple of inches deep. The temperature was under freezing and Gale was saying to me, "This is snowball snow." I took her at her word and was not going to try it as my hands were already freezing, inside my gloves!

We have some bird feeders up now outside the kitchen window and it is really
wonderful to see all the different birds that come visiting. We borrowed a bird book from Gale and have identified the Black and White Warbler and the Hairy Woodpecker. We have also seen Chickadees and one Blue Jay. Most of the Blue Jays are going to our neighbor who obviously has something better to offer than we have! I am hoping at least one squirrel will come to visit. Actually we were very lucky any birds come at all as Smithy, the white cat, used to like to curl up on the stool under the feeders. Now there is some snow is on the stool he is not so interested!
At last my wanted visitor came to see us at the the bird feeders, a cute little squirrel. He came trotting through the snow and tried out all the feeders to find his favourite. I love to see the black squirrels here in Canada and they all seem to be so nice and chubby. Needless to say the birds were not impressed with our new visitor and have boycotted us a bit. I hope they will come back when they get hungry. I think the squirrel is less of a threat than "Smithy" who they will not see again until all the snow has gone!

1 comment:

  1. It looks beautiful!!! I am so glad you are taking winter so well. I know it's only the beginning, but you have the right attitude. A White Christmas would be absolutely gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete