Tuesday 30 December 2014

Views of a "PK"

   I do not consider myself a religious person but each Christmas I like to sing carols so I try to get to a carol service wherever I am. Being in Canada, and with an Anglican priest as my friend's mother-in-law I tagged along with her. I had a few surprises in store. I knew the priest was a woman which was the first thing I had to take into account. I am a "PK" which is known here as a "priest's kid." A PK is a kid brought up in the church but has shied away from it. My father was an Anglican priest who always said he would turn Catholic as soon as they ordained women! Fortunately he did not live to see
this happen. Having got over the first step we were off and running. The carols were lovely but the lessons surprised me a little. I had been brought up with the good old King James version of the bible and thought I knew the lessons backwards having heard them so often. What was being used sounded to me like the New English version which as a fusty, old traditionalist I did not enjoy. This service was combined with communion so I watched carefully to see what would be done Imagine my surprise once again as a woman went up and gave the wine during the communion. Even though I am not a churchgoer I could not but remember my father who I suppose had instilled all the old ideas into me. The service was very informal and chatty which I was not used to. Even though everything was so different I am really very glad I went.    
After the service everyone went down to the basement to have coffee and refreshments. I sat and chatted to some people I already knew and met some new people who were all very friendly and welcoming. Gale never misses a chance to tease me about church so we all had a good laugh as well!

1 comment:

  1. My dear, you seem to be enjoying your Holidays very much!!! I have tried to get in touch, but to no avail. How are you? we need to catch up soon. Wishing you a not too cold New Year's Eve.....on the other hand, you don't looked bothered by the cold. Good!!!

    ReplyDelete