Sunday 2 November 2014

Encounter with a skunk

  
We went to Ottawa on a lovely sunny day as Lyndsay had a doctor's appointment and we had decided to make a day of it. We drove around for about half an hour trying to find the office. Finally we had to ask, and it was in a shopping centre with no address! The appointment was on time and we got out fast. Where to go first, shopping, window shopping or just marching round the shops looking at everything. We went into Pier ! and went mad with all the Halloween paraphanalia at half price. I needed to go to a bank ATM machine so we stopped at the nearest bank.
   
    Lyndsay said she had problems with the truck driving through the machines
so she parked and I got out. I walked round to the outside ATM and stopped suddenly when I was called. I had heard a woman shout "skunk" but took no notice. Lyndsay started to yell my name so I stopped and looked round. She was also telling me about a skunk. I turned round and there was a big, beautiful skunk coming my way. I backed off a little but was mesmorised as I had never seen such a big skunk up close before. I looked at the skunk and the skunk looked at me. Obviously he or she was not in the mood to come too close so scuttled off out of the parking place.
  
   Lyndsay came over and wondered where I was going. After telling her I was going to the ATM machine she looked at me astounded. After thirty years in Curacao where there were vey few, if any, ATM machines inside banks I thought I knew what I was doing. We both had a good laugh and I went inside. It is going to take me a while to get acclimatized to some of the things everyone here takes for granted. I felt a bit of a twit but as the story got told to the family everyone saw the funny side.

No comments:

Post a Comment